Friday, April 17, 2009

NOT Helping Old Ladies Across the Street!

As I was leaving the YMCA today there was an elderly lady crossing the parking lot struggling with her walker while dealing with a heavy bag as she made her way to the door. I was already half way across the parking lot so walking back with her to hold the door might have been a little over-kill.
I could see her grimace with every step but she still managed to give me a really big smile and a "how do you do?" as I passed as if to say I'm not going down without a fight. I have to say that I was inspired by her determination to get up, get dressed, gather items for the Y, park the car, and walk through the parking lot which seemed to be a workout in and of itself.

I know it sounds like a lame response for not helping her "across the street", but I feel in not doing so gave her the dignity she deserves just for making the effort.

--------------------------------------------

55"Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?"
56
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law.
57
But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 15:55-57 (New International Version)

No comments: